Thursday 11 August 2011

A very low fat eggless banana cake

Ever since I got hooked onto baking, I've always been on the lookout for eggless sponge cake recipes, especially ones without lots of butter, condensed milk and guilt. I have tried a few butterless sponges that I found online, but they're always very disappointing.

Another seemingly impossible recipe on my wishlist - An eggless, low fat, banana sponge. I have tried and failed many times to create that perfect banana sponge, but yesterday, I did manage to put together a guilt free banana cake that I was reasonably satisfied with. By no means a sponge, but definitely soft, moist, not very dense and incredibly flavorful. My oh my the smells! I was overwhelmed by the beautiful smells coming out of the oven which complimented eachother so wonderfully. I'd nailed the perfect combination finally- Too much banana isn't pleasant, it's quite headache inducing. And yet you need enough to replace the fats and bind everything together.

This is no birthday cake, but it's a pleasant smelling sweet snack for when you really want to bake a cake but without so much of the guilt!


Here's what you need.

1 & 1/4 cup All purpose flour
3 teaspoons Cocoa Powder
3/4 cup yogurt (I used low fat)
3/4 cup sugar
1 & 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
2 tablespoons vinegar
one medium sized very ripe banana
1 teaspoon vanilla 

Procedure:

1. Preheat the oven to 350 F or 175°C. Prepare your cake tin.
2. Sift flour, cocoa powder into one bowl.
3. Blend the yogurt, sugar and pieces of the banana into a smooth mixture.
4. Add half a teaspoon of baking powder and the vanilla essence to the banana mixture and beat well. Let there be lots of  bubbles!
5. Tip into the flour mixture and gently mix.
6. JUST before you pour the batter into the tin, add the remaining baking powder to the vinegar and mix quickly. Tip this mixture into the batter, give it one good mix and get it into the oven as soon as possible so as to not lose the air bubbles.
7. My cake was done in 30 minutes, but check just in case yours is done sooner. When its almost done you get this gorgeous smell so watch out for that!

And this is one of those cakes which tastes even better the next day. But if you can't wait till then,     




tuck in! :)





No comments:

Post a Comment