Friday 29 July 2011

Silken Tofu and some Silky Chocolate Cake - Part II

Have you ever seen a sachertorte? Or tasted one? It's an austrian cake made with no flour and a tonne of eggs. I have neither seen one, not  tasted one, but I've ogled over pictures of flourless cakes countless times. They look incredibly soft, silky, and rich, and it seems like one would need no teeth to chew this cake for it looks that silky. Here's a droolworthy picture of a flourless cake that I found on google.


Looks incredible right? I've always dreamt of eating a really silky, soft eggless chocolate cake. I've make plenty of different eggless chocolate cakes but somehow, they all taste pretty predictable. If you've been baking for quite sometime like me, I'm sure you're bored of the vinegar vegan chocolate cake, however tasty your friends may find it. Slightly hard on the outside, soft and moist in the center, with the rich aroma of cocoa powder. BORING. I was desperate for a new eggless recipe that was silky soft but without any butter and condensed milk.

Having made some silken tofu by myself earlier this evening, I didn't know what to do with it. I had only a quarter cup of silken tofu, and found Madhuram's eggless silken tofu chocolate cake recipe. Madhuram's recipes always turn out perfectly for me, but I instinctively made a couple of modifications to this one. Here's the best chocolate cake I've ever made.

Ingredients

1 Cup All Purpose Flour
3/4 cup + 2 tablespoons sugar
6 tablespoons cocoa powder
1/2 Cup Oil (I used sunflower)
1/2 cup Yogurt/Curd
1/4 cup pureed silken tofu
1/4 Cup water
1/2 tsp Coffee Powder
1tsp Vanilla
1tsp Baking Powder
1/2 tsp baking soda


1. Preheat the oven to 160 C or 325 F for 15 minutes
2. Sift flour,  cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda. Add sugar.
3. Add the coffee powder to hot water and wait till cool. 
4. Add the oil, curd, silken tofu, coffee mixture and vanilla essence to the flour mixture. Gently mix, do not beat the living day lights out of it.
This makes a rather thin batter, but it didn't worry me. After all, it was Madhuram's recipe :)
5.Bake for about 15 minutes or till a knife inserted in comes out clean.

What a cake!! Like her recipe name suggests, I can't believe it's eggless! It was soft, moist and so very silky!


If you're in a festive mood, slather nutella on the top and garnish with flakes of semi sweet chocolate. Or devour it in its simple silky way, it's irresistable!! I just helped myself to the fourth slice, I am going to show off so much with this cake! Thank you Madhuram!!








No comments:

Post a Comment