Tuesday 28 June 2011

Of Animal Testing and the Woes of having Curly Hair

Garnier. Dove. Herbal Essences. L'Oreal. What do all of these have in common?

They make amazing products which are, sadly, animal tested.  

Sure, they may have websites claiming they are against animal testing, but haha. Read between the lines and you know that they just mean their finished products aren't animal tested. Nothing new about all that, really.
It's just such a pity. When people rave about a Garnier gel or whatever, I'm itching to buy it. I almost forget why I stopped using that stuff in the first place. I mean, my hair is just unmanageable. Ironing it makes it look good for a little while, and then it becomes like a big bush of HAY. And to know that there are products out there which are going to help...aaaargh.

I happen to live in India, and here not a lot of people really are aware of the horrors of animal testing. I once told a friend not to buy animal tested stuff, and she gave me an amused look and said '' so what? they're shampooing a rabbit, it''s gonna end up all nice and clean and fluffy!!!'' 
That's how clueless people are.

The worst part is, even those of us who are aware don't really have a lot of choices. In India, cruelty free means herbal, or unimaginably expensive. Or both. (The Body Shop =/ ) I've wanted to use John Frieda products for curly hair ever since I heard of them, but you don't get them here, and its ridiculous to think of having shampoo shipped. 

Over the years, I've tried almost every single cruelty free hair care brand in available in India, and I've found ways to tame my bush and make my wet hair curls last through the day! Without heat, without chemicals, without expensive rubbish.With simple kitchen remedies. 

More detail on all that in posts to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment